The census of 1860 shows that David Ridenour, a tailor, had arrived from Pennsylvania with his wife, Sarah, and their family. He built the white frame store, still standing, in Aurora. He was postmaster at the store from 1875-1893. His son, Eugenis Oliver, inherited the store in 1891. He was postmaster from 1897-1906. In 1907 Jesse Stemple and his brother, Edgar, leased this store from the Ridenours; by 1917 Jesse had bought it outright. Dr. George R. Stemple, a brother was postmaster from 1913-1925. The store remained in Jesse’s family until the 1950’s when Ira Hardesty bought it. Jack Adams bought the store in 1966 and operated it for 20 years, modernizing it somewhat. He sold it to his son-in-law, Fred Tichnell, who closed it. The store is currently owned by the Aurora Project, Inc. The main floor is leased by the Aurora Area Historical Society.
Aurora, W.Va. 26705